At a glance
Project: Facilitating the interaction between citizens and local governments through information and communication technology (FACIL-ICT)
Term: 06 | 2021 – 05 | 2023
Implemented by: Center for Planning and Evaluation of Social Services (ZPE) │University of Siegen (Germany)
Funded by: Engagement Global NRW / German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
The main objective of the project is to promote the use of ICTs to enhance civic participation in the decision-making process and public service delivery at the local level. Thus, to recommend the appropriate digital tool to serve a two-way communication link between local government service providers and the people in the local communities to enhance opportunities for civic participation in local decision-making and implementation processes in the fields of health and social welfare. Specific objectives of the project will include the following:
- Conduct a systematic review of the scientific discourse and the state of research as well as a legislation and policy review on the subject at global (UN), regional (African Union), sub-regional (West-Africa / ECOWAS) and national (Republic of Ghana) level.
- Collect data on the interaction between citizens and local governments in general and through Information and Communication Technology in two study districts.
- Develop concrete possibilities for the use of ICTs tool in the field of social welfare and health services in dispersed rural communities in the Nsawam-Adoagyiri and Suhum municipalities in Ghana.
- Enhance the development of ICT tools to disseminate information in relation to health and social welfare services more broadly to rural communities.
- Create awareness and jointly developed and pilot approaches in the use of ICT tools for inclusive communication and decision-making processes in the social and health services.